Monday, February 25, 2008

Potpourri of Thoughts on Crawling, Prayers & Time with God

Tonight after Evie's bath I let her have some time on the carpet and tried to tempt her to crawl to a comb and a little rubber ducky. She came closer to crawling than I have ever seen! She did the rock-on-all-fours, which she's actually been doing some for a while now, but usually it ends with her slumping back down to her tummy and rolling around or else she will stay in the all fours position, but put her head down on the floor (not too conducive to moving forward). Tonight, she actually moved a hand and a knee forward a couple times. She also moved forward in an "army crawl" for a little bit. Ahhhh, sweet (albeit, small) victories!! :o)

For about a week now I have been praying that Evie will be crawling or walking by Easter. I would love it if she could crawl or walk around to have a little Easter egg hunt. I'm not sure if this is a very Biblical way to pray or not (setting a time frame like this), but I know we are to pray about everything and I know that God does indeed care about Evie's development. What are your thoughts on this? You hear about people praying for such-in-such amount of money to come in by such-in-such time for the building fund, or a mission trip, etc. Do you think it is Biblical for me to pray for Evie in this way?

Another thing I have been doing lately (which I heard about in a chapter on praying for our kids in a Bible study I am in) is going into Evie's room while she is sleeping at night and praying over her. I pray out loud for God to help her body to develop as it is supposed to and to be able to coordinate the movements to walk/crawl. I pray for other things too, like her future husband (if God wills that she be married) and their purity (both apart from one another and together). Since I have started doing this, I really believe I have seen her develop at a faster rate. Plus, it's just a pleasure to pray over her in this way.

I am so thankful that the Lord hears our prayers. I am even more thankful for His mercy toward me. I have not been good about spending time with Him lately outside of my regular Bible studies (and unfortunately I'm often scrambling to get those done at the last minute, so it's not as if I break it up and do a little every day as a devotional). Sometimes it frightens me when I think of my hopes for my little girl, and then realize that I need to model what I hope to see in her (good eating, fervent prayer life, devotion to God & His word...). I have a long way to go, but I am so glad that the Lord is continually working on me, sanctifying me. I remember in college praying that the Lord would make me miserable if I was not walking closely with Him, so that I would not be able to stray too far. I really think He has honored that prayer, because when I don't spend the time with Him that I know I should, I really do feel pretty miserable in my spirit.

Thank you, Lord, for Your mercies, and thank You that they are new every morning!

4 comments:

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

I do not think that it is silly or presumptious to pray that specifically at all. It does not mean that God will answer and it may mean we ar emore disappointed if it is not answered but God knows the desires of our heart anyway so we may as well verbalize them to him. I will pray that Evie crawls for those Easter Eggs with a passion.

Elizabeth said...

Jen,
I love the fact that you are giving it all to God. I was told also to pray for them while I fold their clothes. To be clothed in righteousness and for different aspects like for socks -to watch where there feet take them. etc. It makes folding go by faster especially when there is so much of it!!

Honeycutt Family said...

In Philipians it tells us to pray for EVERYTHING! Somewhere else (I don't have my Bible in front of me and I'm too lazy to go fetch it from upstairs) it says that we just need to ASK and we shall receive! So, I think that your prayers are very legitimate.
I really like Elizabeth's suggestion about the praying while folding your hubby's and child's laundry! I'm going to start doing that!
Love,
Jen

Rich and Jen said...

I am so blessed to have a Godly wife. I am thankful that you even ask these questions. I am glad that we can spur each other on to Godliness.
--hubs