Monday, April 23, 2007

Just Being Honest

Let me first say that I wanted Evie so badly and I am so thankful for her. No question, no doubt about it, she's a BLESSING to me. That said, sometimes I don't like being Mommy! Sigh. We are having napping troubles. I think it's further complicated by the 4 month milestones and the drooly, sloppery teething that seems to be starting (Yikes!). Frankly I just second-guess myself so much. I read the books, listen to the advice, read online, and still feel lost as a goose! In principle, it's simple: I believe in letting her cry it out. Not everybody does, but in my mind it's like a bandaid...it hurts to pull it off, but you just do it and in the end the quicker you do it, the better. It's difficult to hear her cry, but the thing is, there is always going to be something uncomfortable or even on the verge of painful when it comes to good parenting. In the course of trying to shape my child's heart, I've got to get my hands dirty. So, I think I see this trial as foreshadowing of what's to come...it's just part of being a mommy. And sometimes I don't like it!

That said, though I believe in letting Evie cry it out, I don't think I do it very well. And I have so many questions! How long is "okay?" If she settles down and starts talking to herself, happy as a lark, then starts crying again, do I start the timer over? Does that mean she wasn't really tired? (but I KNOW she was tired!) How much of a cry is okay, and when is she just hysterical? Oh, I hate this!

Lord God, please, PLEASE, guide me as the Mommy of Evie. Give me confidence that the actions I take with her are right, and if they're not, guide me toward the right way. Please help me to trudge through and persevere during the hard times of parenting and help me to let go and just ENJOY during the easy, fun times (instead of finding something to worry about as is so often my tendency). Amen.

4 comments:

alyelli said...

I am praying for you friend. We let Ethan and Caleb cry it out. It is hard, very hard. Evie is just now at the point, according to my pediatrician which is in the same group as yours, that she is capable of soothing herself to sleep or even back to sleep if she wakes up too early from a nap. Being a mom is HARD work whatever the task at hand, eating, sleeping, nursing, discipline. You are doing a GREAT job. Hang in there. Stepping outside for a few minutes can make a difference as well while she is crying. Fresh air helps everyone.

Honeycutt Family said...

Thank you for sharing that, Jen. I can totally relate. We also are believers in the "cry it out" method, but I have friends that don't and their one year old is still up several times a night! It worked for us after a couple nights of crying. Now, she self-soothes very well. There will always be something that is hard (right now Grace is in the "clingy" phase and always wants to be held--TIRING!!!!), but you are doing the best thing by praying about it and talking about your struggles with other Mommies. You are doing great!
Jen

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

Katherine and I had so much fun with you and Evie today. She was so happy and content. I know it is hard and I admit I am not a sleep expert at all. Crying it out is hard. We did it but probably a little late. You are a great mommy and you have a great baby girl. I love those dimples.

Rich and Jen said...

Oh, you girls are GREAT! Thanks so much for the encouraging words! It means more than I can express!
Love, Jen
PS--I think you all are wonderful mommies, too!! :o)