Friday, March 9, 2007

I Don't Believe in Kharma (Warning: Deep Thoughts)

As a Christian, I don't believe in Karma (Or is it Kharma?) and I'm so glad. Yesterday, on my way to playgroup, I was waiting on a side street to turn on to a more major street. There was a big Suburban waiting in the turn lane in front of me so I had to wait for them to turn before I could proceed. Well, they kept having what I perceived as ample opportunities to go, but they wouldn't go, so finally I honked. She looked over at me and then made not a left turn, but a U-turn. I felt like a little child. Of course she couldn't go before. She had time to make a left turn, but not a U-turn, especially with that big Suburban of hers. I really felt bad for honking. I mean, playgroup's fun, but it's not as if I had to be there right at the beginning or anything. As I sheepishly made my left turn and was beside her on the road I found myself wanting to make it up to her. I even considered rolling my window down and apologizing at a stoplight. In the end, I was "nice enough" to let her over when she needed to cross my lane to make a left turn at the next intersection. But I know how ticked I get when people honk at me for silly, impatient things, so I probably already ruined her day. It made me start to think...

My letting her in perhaps could be viewed by some as a way of reversing my bad kharma when I honked. But can I manage to make up for all the petty, selfish things that I do in life? I'm so thankful that my salvation is not based on my good works, but on faith in Jesus! If it were based on good works, I'd be in a heap of trouble! The Bible tells us that even one sin separates us from God, but I started wondering: Even if getting to heaven meant doing "more good things than bad things" I still don't know if I'd get in! I mean, I can be a really selfish girl and God sees and knows ALL of it! And how miserable would I be trying to tip the scales in my favor! It really made me thank the Lord for making a better way to get to heaven.

Anyway, that lady might have been really mad at me or she might not have cared a hill of beans. But it sure made me think and reflect on how blessed I am. And that's worth something, right? See, I warned you it was deep!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is one of the very things I love about you... you are so kind and thoughtful, always thinking of others.

Most people (and probably 99.99% of New York drivers out there) would never even think twice about honking at somebody for wasting their time! But you, being the sweet and thoughtful person that you are, REALLY reflect on how you affect others... and THAT is admirable!

I have to admit that on occasion I am very guilty of being a rude driver (gestures and all... I know, I know...) and I will from this point forward make a conscious effort to be nicer. Maybe it will be contagious and someday Dallas will be a lovely place to drive.

:)