Last night I decided last minute to go by a couple of garage sales this morning with Evie. So I searched for local garage sales on Craigslist and off we went. I was hoping for perhaps a play kitchen and some instruments for Evie and some new sheets for Richard and me (one of the sales was actually a "Sample Sale" with stuff from Bed Bath & Beyond), but I was open to other good treasures (but with only $40 cash--on purpose!--I knew I couldn't go ballistic). At the first stop I found Evie a Sit 'n Spin. It was marked $5, but I talked them down to $3. Next stop was the BB&B Sample Sale. I got 2 heavy duty door mats, a regular door mat, 8 kitchen towels, 2 hand towels, and one small, wool accent rug all for $8. On our last stop we found a Parents brand "Bee Bop Band" (a set of musical instrument in a case that doubles as a drum) with other tambourines and jingle bells thrown in--$4. At the same spot there was a Fisher Price picnic table for $10. I talked him down to $9. Ah, the thrill of the hunt! I didn't come away with all I was looking for, but I think everything I got will be very useful (I've gone into BB&B several times to buy door mats, but never walk away with any because I'm too cheap).
When I got home I checked online to see what I would have paid in the store (granted, these were all used (except for the BB&B stuff which was brand new with tags), but nothing was in bad shape. Here's what I found:
Parents Bee Bop Band set $37-$50 (that's not even counting the extras that were thrown in)
Music and Lights Sit 'n Spin Rockin' Tunes--$45
Fisher Price Picnic Table--I couldn't find the exact one, but they were around $119 new.
Wool Accent Rug--$40
Mats--$15-$20
Reg. Mat--$10
Dish towels--around 5 for $10
Hand towel--$8-$10 each
So, instead of around $300, I paid a grand total of...
$24 ..........Priceless! :o)
In the photos, I forgot to include one of the doormats--it's already on the front porch!
What are some of your favorite garage sale finds??
5 comments:
Hey Jen, One of our favorites is our train table with drawers. I really don't think the people knew what they were selling. We asked what they were selling it for and they said "we don't know - what can you give us for it?" We walked away with it for $7! Of course, it needed to be cleaned up, but what a deal. Aren't garage sales the best.
I don't know how much you'll appreciate this Jen, but Richard will get a kick out of it.
I got an entire weight lifting home gym this week. Full Squat cage, upper and lower pulley attachment with weight stack, adjustable bench with leg extention/leg curl attachment, 300 pounds of weight plates, an olympic barbell and various other items...for $150 dollars.
All that stuff would have cost me 1500 bucks new (easily). Couldn't believe it.
The beeBop band is a great find. I gave one to Sophia for her birthday. Both she and Katherine loved it. I am jealous of the picnic table. I would love to have that. My favorite recent find was a k-1 teacher who was selling a ton of books - 5/$1. They were a ton of great titles that Katherine loves.
Way to go on the bargain hunting!!
Good job, my friend! I haven't been to a garage sale for a very long time. It just isn't fun with 3 kids and a dad who works on Saturdays!! But God is good, we have had many friends that give things to our kids because they don't want to sell them. Our best was some racing bike(Don't know the brand since I am a girl!!). James couldn't believe they gave it to Josh. He said the bike was worth big bucks!
Post a Comment