Thursday, January 18, 2007

Reflections of a New Mommy






This will be so random because my mind is going in 30 different directions and I'm operating on just a few hours of sleep, so all my former (teacher) co-workers, please don't think this is how I used to teach Writing to our 4th graders! ;oP




1. Richard and I are both fluent in Spanish so we want to speak Spanish to Evie at home and in English outside the house (and of course when English-speakers come to the house we will speak English--we won't make you practice your Espanol when you come over). This is proving difficult though...I'm bleary-eyed at 2 in the morning trying to think of how to say "wet-wipe." "Esta bien, mi amor...ten paciencia--te voy a limpiar con el 'Wet Wipe' y ya terminamos." Plus, I'm used to using Spanish to communicate with my students or, more often, with their parents in a parent conference. This is very non-emotional. It's more difficult for me to speak words of affection in Spanish, which is the majority of what I need with Evie right now. It will be interesting to see how things pan out in this regard.


2. I'm a TV junkie! Prior to Evie's birth the only shows Richard and I watched on a regular basis were "Lost" and "Survivor" with a few Seinfeld episodes sprinkled in now and then. Now, because of nursing and holding a sleeping baby that wakes up the moment I dare move, I find myself keeping up with King of the Hill, That 70s Show, Seinfeld...I avoid the 18 different "Judge so and so" shows though. I do get some good reading in as well though, so my brain isn't completely fried yet. If you want an uplifting read that isn't too tragic like so many of them (My Sister's Keeper just about killed me! I'm not giving anything away...just read it with a box of Kleenex)...anyway, if you want something less serious try the "Mitford" books by Jan Karon. They've been my constant companion the last few weeks.


3. Parenting a newborn is a very humbling experience. I spent so much time reading pregnancy books, but not that much on baby books. What was I thinking?! I'm sure God will use it to shape us both, but as I type this I think, "How much have I really been talking to God in the midst of all these experiences? It's mainly been during my times of frustration: "Help me, God!" "What does Evie want right now? Help me figure this out!" Goodness! God puts up with a lot from His little children, doesn't He?


The pics are of Evie's first at-home bath (well, after it). She's wearing her froggie robe with the "moon boots" as Richard likes to call them. The other two are sleepy Mommy/Daddy pics (Ha! As if they needed explanation).

No comments: